As most of us know, diabetes is linked with high blood sugar levels while type 2 diabetes is associated with insulin resistance. When a person is affected with type 2 diabetes, his body loses the ability to respond to insulin levels. This article focuses on the causes and tips to overcome type 2 diabetes.
What are the causes?
- Heredities: People with a family history of diabetes are at higher risk.
- Birth weight: There is a very strong relationship between birth weight and diabetes. The lower the birth weight, the higher the risk.
- Metabolic fluctuations: People suffering from metabolic syndrome and metabolic fluctuations are more likely to get diabetes type 2.
- Obesity: Statistics show obesity causes the most health issues. Since it increases our body’s resistance to insulin, obese people are more likely to develop the condition.
- Gestational Diabetes: Some mothers will have gestational diabetes at some point during pregnancy. Usually there are no noticeable signs but have it in mind!
Ways to treat and prevent:
Genetics play the most important role in the development of diabetes and this is something that cannot be controlled. Nevertheless, there are other things in your surroundings and personal routines that will definitely help you lower the risk. Some are listed here:
Exercise: Jogging and fitness play a vital role in maintaining top health. Physical exercise three to four times per week will make you will feel awesome! Most people think that exercise is only for those who want to lose weight. Combine those two concepts and you will see the difference right away!
Quit Smoking: 16 to 20 cigarettes per day (as the usual statistics) put a person at high risk for developing diabetes (among other things). Since smoking decreases the body’s ability to develop insulin resistance, blood sugar levels increase immediately after your next cigarette.
Eating Nuts: About an ounce or 28 grams of nuts a day will keep your doctor away! It’s time to say goodbye to your favorite yummy calorie-stuffed chips!
Create Awareness: Spread the word about diabetes and make everyone learn how serious it actually is. Discuss with community members, local doctors and organize the best awareness event! Marathons, walkathons, game shows… or make a documentary and publish it online. Social media is always there to help you advertise your cause, so it can reach as many people as possible! Don’t forget that trendy giveaways like personalized silicone bracelets with a special message will make your event more successful!
If you feel that you are at risk, consult your doctor. The earlier you do this, the better the chances are for you to stay safe and healthy. Remember that self-treatment is not always perceived as unproblematic!
Anupam Ghose, a physician by training, was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) in 2017. After the diagnosis of T2DM, he followed a low carbohydrate high fat diet and reversed his T2DM within a year. Now he has one main goal in life and that is to make people understand that the conventional method of treating T2DM is not beneficial. Type 2 diabetes is reversible and the best way to reverse T2DM is through diet and lifestyle modifications. He now decided to help people with type 2 diabetes by offering online coaching to reverse their diabetes.