If there is one food you want to include in your meal plan, berries are it. Not only are berries loaded with antioxidants, they are also…
- very low in calories,
- high in fiber,
- fat-free, and
contain some of the lowest levels of carbs you can get in a fruit.
This all makes them ideal for those who are suffering from Type 2 diabetes. This said, if you often do not include them in your meal plan because you just are not sure how to add them to your diet – and get bored of eating them plain, not to worry, you have so many options.
Here are ten great ways to serve berries – most of which should work regardless of which type of diet you are on…
1. Top them over a delicious bowl of high fiber oatmeal in the morning to liven up this cereal without adding processed sugars.
2. Prepare a smoothie! Berries are tasty blended together with protein powder, Greek yogurt, and a bit of nut butter.
3. Stir them into a bowl of yogurt. It is important you are purchasing plain yogurt rather than flavored to minimize the sugar content you are consuming. Plain yogurt can be, well, rather dull, however, so add some berries to the yogurt. A half a cup is all you need to get great taste.
4. Toss them into a salad. Berries work fantastic in a salad of your choice. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries – choose whichever berry is your favorite.
5. Add them to a pitcher of water. While you may not eat them this way, some antioxidants and vitamins will still seep out, and it will make your water taste delicious.
6. Layer them over Ezekiel bread with some fat-free cream cheese for a tasty treat and energy boosting snack at any point during the day.
7. Stir them into a batch of protein pancakes for a delicious Saturday morning breakfast you can enjoy without feeling rushed.
8. Serve them with a little nut butter for a complete snack. Melt a tablespoon or two of almond butter in the microwave and then dip the berries right into this. It is a delicious and balanced snack you will be sure to enjoy.
9. Grill them! Stab them onto skewers and brush with a little orange juice for flavor and then skewer them up on the BBQ for a quick and delicious dessert.
10. Make a berry-fruit salsa. Then serve this salsa with your favorite meats or as a dip for some freshly baked whole grain tortilla chips.
So don’t overlook berries in your diet any longer. Make sure you are including this fruit in your meal plan. Enjoy!
Anupam Ghose, a physician by training, was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) in 2017. After the diagnosis of T2DM, he followed a low carbohydrate high fat diet and reversed his T2DM within a year. Now he has one main goal in life. Yes, it is to make people understand that the conventional method of treating T2DM is not beneficial. The best way to reverse T2DM is through diet and lifestyle modification. He decided to help people suffering from T2DM in their new journey by offering consultations and working together with them in order to achieve a T2DM free life.