Finding time to exercise when you have a full schedule can be tough. When you change your mind from exercising being one more thing that’s crowding your to-do list daily, to thinking of it as a getaway from your daily routine, you’ll find yourself looking forward to your “time away” exercising. Even if you only fit in 20-30 minutes a handful of times per week, it is putting you on the path of making it a regular part of your schedule. You’ll begin really enjoying it when you start feeling the benefits of your exercise! Finding time is not easy so we must make time.
Here are a few tips on how to fit in a good workout with your busy schedule …
1. Schedule it. Write down when you plan to exercise on your calendar or in your mobile calendar. Schedule the workout in like it’s an important meeting that you can not miss. You can also set reminder alerts on your mobile phone to prompt you to exercise.
2. Do it at home. Whether you purchase some home workout equipment such as a treadmill or an exercise bike, use online workouts or exercise subscription services, it’s much easier to fit in a workout when you do not have to leave your home for the gym during gym hours.
3. Start your day with it. As the day goes on and your energy lessens, you may be less likely to exercise. Waking up 30 minutes earlier than normal to fit in a walk on the treadmill or a yoga DVD can start your day off on the right foot.
4. Do the small things. Small things such as parking further away from your workplace or the grocery store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or using the restroom in your office on a different floor. Even standing up during television commercials or marching in place is an idea. Doing these small things every single day will soon add up and get you in the habit of thinking of ways to better your health on a daily basis.
5. Accountability. Find a workout partner or someone like a coach to hold you accountable. After your best efforts, it’s sometimes hard to stay motivated. Having someone hold you accountable maximizes your chances of sticking to your workout schedule. If your workout partner is on the same mission as you they are less likely to bring you down with negative comments that we sometimes receive from others. Friendly challenges are a great way to push each other to work harder too.
Those are some tips to help you fit exercise into your busy schedule. At the end of the day though, it’s important that you do your exercise and push past any excuses. The only person who can stop you is you.
Anupam Ghose, a physician by training, was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) in 2017. After the diagnosis of T2DM, he followed a low carbohydrate high fat diet and reversed his T2DM within a year. Now he has one main goal in life. Yes, it is to make people understand that the conventional method of treating T2DM is not beneficial. The best way to reverse T2DM is through diet and lifestyle modification. He decided to help people suffering from T2DM in their new journey by offering consultations and working together with them in order to achieve a T2DM free life.